WQ (WorkQueuing) provides a dispatcher-worker service to allow tasks to be distributed across multiple nodes under PBS control. The tasks may be serial, or small parallel OpenMP and MPI tasks (MPI tasks may only use cores on a single node under WQ). The user customizes a PBS template file to fit their needs, and provides a task script or program to be control. The template, example task script, and user documentation are pointed to by environment variables (WQ_PBS_TEMPLATE, WQ_EXAMPLE_TASK, and WQ_DOC) defined by the module or softenv key for WQ.
Versions and Availability
Module Names for wq on qb2
▶ **FIX-ME** FAQ?
- Create a file with each line defining a file name, command line, or whatever the task script/program requires.
- Create a task script, or command, that runs correctly when given a line from the above file. The variable WQ_EXAMPLE_TASK points to a sample script file.
- Test the task script manually, just to be sure.
- Make a copy of the file pointed to by WQ_PBS_TEMPLATE, and update the settings to suite your needs (user name, allocation code, other options.)
- Submit the PBS script as usual.
- Self-paced tutorial on backgrounding and distributing tasks.
- WQ_DOCS environment variable that points to the full user manual in PDF form.
Last modified: July 08 2016 12:42:29.